Instagram

Thursday 12 December 2013

Apparently, fluent in polish...

November.
An ordinary month ending in a very bizarre way.
And I'm still trying to figure out how it happened!

Three months ago I answered an email to join a rural action for small businesses group, a token gesture which involved nodding occasionally and consigning emails to my spam folder.
However, when an email arrived inviting me to a freebie shopping trip to Bath I broke the habit of a lifetime and replied immediately.
 Call me fickle, but shopping in Bath was infinitely more appealing than invites to bee keeping lectures and rural issues.

On 30th November I turned up for the bus to Bath expecting to recognise at least a few passengers.
It seemed a little odd that I was being asked to give my national insurance number and handed a large folder - which I assumed was a welcome pack - or that everyone was speaking polish or chinese. However, it was only when the bus pulled out and I opened the ''welcome pack'' that I realised it contained four basic english assignments for people learning english as a second language - and my name was on the list!!!

By now it was too late to get off the bus and I assumed - wrongly - that I could just hand in blank papers and no-one would be any the wiser, but it appeared to be compulsory, and papers kept getting returned to me to ''correct.''

By the time we eventually pulled in to Bath - via a service station to complete assignments and with the threat of another assignment filling in session in a coffee shop - I have never run so fast!!!

 I still have not got to the bottom of how that happened, although I have the distinct impression that I was set up.
I am eagerly awaiting the results of my learning english-as-a-foreign language assignments and may just frame the certificate...
Especially if I've failed.









1 comment:

  1. That's insane, I hope you got to the bottom of it :)

    ReplyDelete